World Cup 2010 Ambassador Profile
In 2003 Kalusha was invited by the then South Africa 2010 bid Company to help South Africa realize a dream. The dream of being awarded the right to host ‘the biggest show on earth’.
Without hesitation Kalusha accepted this challenge and travelled across the world with Danny Jordaan and other Bid Committee executives convincing FIFA member Associations and their Presidents that South Africa was in fact deserving and able to host this most prestigious event. Kalusha’s global network as well as his fluency in Spanish, French, Dutch and English went a long way in convincing Associations where to cast their votes.
Africa was chosen as the host for the 2010 World Cup as part of a new policy to rotate the event between football confederations. Five African nations placed bids to host the 2010 World Cup. After one round of voting, the winning bid was announced by FIFA president Sepp Blatter at a media conference on May 15, 2004 in Zurich. South Africa was awarded the rights to host the tournament, defeating Morocco and Egypt.
Almost immediately thereafter the 2010 South African LOC was formed and Kalusha’s services were retained as a 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa - Technical Consultant.
His roles include;
• To provide input in respect of football related requirements for the planning, design and construction of stadia and any official training sites identified for use during the World Cup
• To provide advice on access requirements to the field of play, dressing rooms and media centres within the stadia or official training sites
• To provide input on the security needs for the players
• Advise on Physical infrastructure required
• Input on any aspects of a football game and the associated requirements which must be adhered to operating and maintaining the stadia and/or any official training site
• Advice on media strategy and to act as media consultant to the LOC on foreign and local media reports
• Carry out assignments on behalf of the LOC from time to time on instructions of the CEO
• Assist the Technical Team in the compilation of the requisite manuals for the stadia and official training sites.
• Liaise with FIFA to identify any specific requirements of FIFA for consideration in the design, operation and/or maintenance of the stadia and Official Training sites.
• Review any associated documentation provided by FIFA and inform the technical team of any information gathered in relation thereto.
• Participate in any LOC programmes pertaining to the African Legacy Programmes.
• Perform ceremonial/ambassadorial duties as specified by the LOC.